Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Time to Hesitate is Through

Yesterday was just about perfect!  We woke up, packed the car, drank some coffee and checked out of our cheesy motel.  While walking stuff out to the car I saw my first glimpse of snow! Snow capped mountains are something I've been waiting for this whole trip,  and they were absolutely beautiful!  Windmills also dotted the landscape,  not the old-fashioned wooden ones, but huge metal structures dancing in the wind. In all we only drove a couple hours and ended up with some time to kill before meeting up with Doug's friends.

Sean and Kate eventually found us at the Venice dog park, and they were awesome tour guides to Venice Beach.  Wow. It was like the 'drag' in Austin,  but turned up to eleven ;) If I lived here, I would definitely hang on that beach way too often! And, unannounced to me, our walk through town happened to lead us passed a small apartment complex where Jim Morrison used to live! Hardcore goosebumps!!

Surprising to Doug and I, we had a hard time finding a restaurant that would allow Phoenix on the porch. But, when we did, it was perfect!  Half priced drinks, in the shade, right off the beach,  and couldn't have asked for better company!  Sean and Kate are so lovely, I hope to see them again soon!

We let the minutes slide by in Venice, but picked up the slack around 7:00pm and met one of my oldest best friends and her boyfriend (our hosts for the evening) at their very cute apartment in Culver City. We walked to a fantastic vegetarian restaurant by their house, everything was vegetarian *unless * you asked for meat - such a cool concept,  Austin??

Had a great time reminiscing, drinking wine, and watching the Ricky Gervais show. There is something about knowing someone from childhood and connecting as adults that just makes you feel that all is right with the world.  I'd be lying If I said I didn't have the urge to stay way too long here,  such an amazing experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment