Friday, March 11, 2011

On the road!!

Yesterday I spent the afternoon with my family in San Antonio. I was freaking out and afraid I didn't have time to see them, but I ended up being able to push back my plans with Christi. We all met up at the Amaya Deli, it took a while for everyone to trickle in, but we slowly circled up and looked through some old photographs I'd never seen before. When everyone got there the grill was lit and Jane and Cliff made the most delicious veggie burgers, my Aunt and Uncle can cook!  I had a great time seeing everyone, but leaving was pretty rough.

My dad drove me back to Austin, and that was really cool because he and I really haven't spent that much time together recently. We talked about plans for this year's Burning Man, as well as my plans for Alaska. I was actually really late getting back to Austin, so as soon as I could I headed up to north Austin to see Christi. I hung out up there for as long as I could before having to say my last goodbyes

When I got home Brandy was chillin with my cousin Sam, which was weird because they don't actually usually get along that well. But apparently they'd gotten their shit talked out well enough because we all hung out while I packed up my cloths. I got these awesome 'Space Bags" from my parents and they were perfect for getting way too many cloths into the back of my car ;) I had such a great time with them and Mike, and of course there was a spur of the moment photo shoot - this one involving a dinosaur toy, a hair brush and a de-christening mission ;)

Part of Sam's mission was to pick up my mattress and box-springs, so I ended up sleeping my last night in Austin on Brandy's couch. It was a bit jarring this morning when I woke up and realized how fast the clock was ticking. Brandy took off to get us Torchy's tacos and juice, which was awesome because we had our work cut out for us. While she was gone, I started packing up my car. I tetrised things around for a while and ended up finding that I had a lot more room than I needed :)

Brandy and I cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned. Really, it only took about three hours, but we got that place looking brand new!! Today was a day of ceremonial 'lasts', so we went to la Feria to have one last margarita together. Sitting in the sun felt awesome, and as bitter sweet as it was, having my last solo-conversation with Brandy was exactly what I needed.

4:00 was the meet up time for my final send off, which I decided weeks ago would be at Uncle Billy's. Brandy and I showed up first, then Shawna, Doug, Mike, Samantha, my dad and grandparents, and finally Mom showed up! We all ate like kings! Hugs were plentiful, and I did my best to keep it together while saying good bye to some of the very most important people in my life - until we meet again!! :)

Around 8:30 Doug and I hit the road!!! I am officially on this road trip! We didn't make it quite as far as we had hoped to because of all the water-works, but we have made it to Sanora, TX. I am currently writing from a strange dichotomy of creepy meets adorable? Everything in this room is painted sea foam green, everything! Regardless of the charming/creepiness of this place, I love that I am on the road to Alaska!!

No comments:

Post a Comment