Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I Can't Drive 35

I spent the morning walking around 'Old Town' Eureka. My original intent was to peek in at the Eureka location of the art gallery I used to work at in Austin. They seem to be doing great, lots of familiar artists, and some really interesting new ones. I asked the owner to help me track down a piece from one of my favorite artists, his wife actually knew the exact piece I was talking about, so hopefully I'll get an email about it soon! I don't know if I'll be able to afford it, but I've kicked myself ever since the gallery closed for not having bought it then. While talking shop a bit, I got some somber news, turns out my old manager at the Austin shop passed away :(

At the recommendation of the gallery owner, I had lunch at a cool little place called Lost Coast Brewery, I've never actually had tofu tacos before, they were delicious! Talked to my friend Pedro for a bit on the phone, he hooked me up with a place to crash with one of his friends in Portland - score! After lunch I continued walking around town, Eureka is an adorable little town! The sun felt so nice I really hated the idea of getting back in the car, but I had a lot of road to cover, so in I went.


Driving along the coast was so pretty! There were lots of places to pull off for pictures, and I did my best not to pull off at all of them - still got quite a few in though ;)

About 30 miles south of Oregon I got the first speeding ticket of the trip :( I was going 50 in a 35 - damn these little mountain towns! ;) At first the cop was extremely rude and condescending towards me, but by the end of it my Texas charm had him laughing, joking around and wishing me a safe trip. Its weird, California tickets don't have the fee scale printed on the back, so I have no clue if I owe $100 or $500? He was also very insistent that the court could require me to appear in person to clear up the ticket, ha right.....

Soon after, I got to the most beautiful Motel 6 I have ever seen. I'm convinced there are no ugly views in Oregon, because there is no other way to justify my getting to watch a beautiful sunset over the water right from my room. Although I do kind of suspect that this location didn't start out as a Motel 6 - its too nice, and theres even a hot tub! As someone who has been touring Motel 6's for over a week now, I've got to tell you, Motel 6s never have hot tubs! I hadn't planned on needing a bathing suit on this trip, but I also wasn't about to miss out on a chance to get in :) The best I could do to improvise was cutoff shorts and a tank top - the water felt sooo good! I only had the tub to myself for a few lovely minutes, but the company that eventually joined me was nice too - to be honest, I've been going a bit stir crazy with Phoenix being on the receiving end of the majority of my recent conversations ;)

2 comments:

  1. Liz!!!!!! What an exciting journey you are taking!!!! I'm afraid I'm addicted to your blog. Keep it up. Can't wait to read more. Lots of love to you and say hi to the family next time you talk to them. <3 7 Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try to keep your eyes on the road. Love you.

    ReplyDelete