Thursday, April 7, 2011

Where the heart is

Today was my first day waking up in Palmer. I got ready to go, packed up my computer, and walked into town. Getting to town took about 15 mins, I was looking for coffee, but first came across the History and Art Museum located near the center of town. I had a nice time talking with the docent there, he was packing up from a festival they had hosted the weekend before honoring Palmer's sister city in Japan.

At that point I was in desperate need of coffee so I stumbled into a place called Vagabond Blues. Got a big steaming mug of black coffee and sat by the window to read over craigslist in hopes of finding a place and/or a job. Wasn't long before Pedro showed up to join me for a cup after he got off work. Talked briefly over the properties I found on craigslist, and then headed home to grab Phoenix for a hike.

We went up to a place called The Butte. Its official, Phoenix loves it here. I don't know if its the snow, the cold, the mountains, or what, but I've never seen him smile so big for so long. Oh, and he discovered today that the snow is not just for playing with, its for eating too ;) We wanted to hike higher up on The Butte, but the snow was turning to slush which made the steeper areas too slippery for my footwear.

Back down to Anchorage for dinner. We ate at a Mediterranean place called Aladdin and it was so freaking good.  We both left stuffed to the gills! Pedro drove his truck back to Palmer, and I drove my car - glad to have that all taken care of. When we got home it turned out that Pedro's roommate wasn't too keen on the idea of having Phoenix in the house - actually, we were almost denied entry completely, but Pedro managed to talk us in with the understanding that Phoen would be staying in his kennel. To be honest, I feel rushed but relieved - hadn't felt very comfortable here, but tomorrow I'm going to find a month-to-month deal on a hotel for Phoenix and I to stay in temporarily. Home sweet home is such a liquid concept these days ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment